Re: [SLUG] OT: Networking, HTTP and SMB

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 19:49:16 EST

whole file to download to see the last pages.

> However, if I browse to the Windows share across the WAN, and double-click the same
> PDF file, it opens almost immediately, and I can scroll down to the last page. I
> think that at some level, either Adobe Reader or SMB (or some magical windows
> fairy???) realizes which page I have scrolled to, and requests that page, so I can
> view it immediately, while continuing to download the rest of the document in the
> background. This functionality does not seem to be available when using HTTP to
> transfer the file.
>
> Does this sound reasonable? Does Windows SMB have some kind of feature that can
> request certain parts/pages of a file, and present them first, while still
> transfering the rest in the background?

It's not necessarily a part of SMB. All recent versions of PDF support "linearized
PDF" which is a way of optimizing for slower links. Grab the later PDF ref and check
out the Appendix for the option:

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/pdf/index_reference.html#5

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com