Re: [SLUG] Sharing (Network or SaMBa issue) files on a linux box

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 23 2005 - 16:11:36 EST

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Caleb Rodriguez wrote:

> Sorry for my last post. It seems that all of the machines can ping
> the linux box. So now that I know that they are kind of talking what
> now?

It'll probably work, but just as a sanity check, try to log in remotely to
the Linux box over SSH (SSH does work, right?). Actually, it doesn't have
to be SSH; it can be _any_ service that machine provides -- FTP, web, NTP,
whatever. Then, make use "smbclient" on the Linux to transfer some data
from one of the others (a share list is sufficient to show that TCP works).
Then you've shown that TCP works in both directions.

Next, point smbclient at localhost ("smbclient -U your_username -L
localhost") to see if it sees Samba there. Your NIC uses some address,
192.168.something? Point smbclient at that to see if it's bound to that
address. What is the output of "netstat -A inet -ap | grep mbd"?

   Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
   would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.
                                                 -- Oliver Cromwell