RE: [SLUG] automount vs gkrellm

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 24 2005 - 11:39:10 EST

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Darrin Jones wrote:

> > On December 23, 2005, Eben King wrote:
> >
> > I have automount (aka autofs?) set up to mount filesystems when I access
> > them, and gkrellm set up to monitor whether they're mounted, and if so,
> > the free space on them. Problem is, automount considers gkrellm's
> > monitoring to make a filesystem busy, so it never gets unmounted.

> gkrellm gets its info from /proc so I'm not sure how it could make a FS
> busy. Are you sure it isn't something else? What is automount saying that
> incriminates gkrellm?

In gkrellm, a FS can be described for monitoring under the "primary" or
"secondary" tabs. Near as I can figure, the difference is that there's no
"show only if mounted" checkbox in "primary", so a slat for that FS is
always shown, with a small light's color indicating mounted/unmounted
status. No matter how I enter a FS, if gkrellm monitors its mount
status, it never gets unmounted. I can unmount it manually ("umount
/dev/$FOO") and it doesn't complain, but left to its own devices, things get
mounted on demand and stay that way..

I already found and disabled NFS. I don't need it any more, so it was no
loss.

Just for kicks:
with this in "primary":
Label: dvd2
Mount point: /mnt/auto/dvd2
[X] Ejectable
Device: /dev/dvd2

[root@pc root]# ls /mnt/dvd2 ; mount | grep dvd2 ; sleep 6 ; mount | grep
dvd2 ; umount /dev/dvd2 ; mount | grep dvd2
+ ls --color=tty /mnt/dvd2
bootdisk isolinux loadlin manual oscar syslinux sysrcd.dat
+ mount
+ grep dvd2
/dev/dvd2 on /mnt/dvd/dvd2 type iso9660 (ro,mode=0666)
+ sleep 6
+ mount
+ grep dvd2
/dev/dvd2 on /mnt/dvd/dvd2 type iso9660 (ro,mode=0666) <-- it's still
+ umount /dev/dvd2 there after 6 seconds.
+ mount
+ grep dvd2
++ echo -ne '\033]0;root@pc:~\007'

With that info, plus "show only if mounted", in secondary and not in
"primary":

[root@pc root]# ls /mnt/dvd2 ; mount | grep dvd2 ; sleep 6 ; mount | grep
dvd2 ; umount /dev/dvd2 ; mount | grep dvd2
+ ls --color=tty /mnt/dvd2
bootdisk isolinux loadlin manual oscar syslinux sysrcd.dat
+ mount
+ grep dvd2
/dev/dvd2 on /mnt/dvd/dvd2 type iso9660 (ro,mode=0666)
+ sleep 6
+ mount
+ grep dvd2
/dev/dvd2 on /mnt/dvd/dvd2 type iso9660 (ro,mode=0666) <-- still there
+ umount /dev/dvd2
+ mount
+ grep dvd2
++ echo -ne '\033]0;root@pc:~\007'

With that info not in gkrellm at all:

[root@pc root]# ls /mnt/dvd2 ; mount | grep dvd2 ; sleep 6 ; mount | grep
dvd2 ; umount /dev/dvd2 ; mount | grep dvd2
+ ls --color=tty /mnt/dvd2
bootdisk isolinux loadlin manual oscar syslinux sysrcd.dat
+ mount
+ grep dvd2
/dev/dvd2 on /mnt/dvd/dvd2 type iso9660 (ro,mode=0666)
+ sleep 6
+ mount
+ grep dvd2 <-- no output, not there
+ umount /dev/dvd2
umount: /dev/dvd2: not mounted
+ mount
+ grep dvd2
++ echo -ne '\033]0;root@pc:~\007'

I don't know what other conclusion to draw.

SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming
from an open window.  Work a little harder on improving your low self
esteem, you stupid freak.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_