Re: [SLUG] Debian

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 22:53:48 EST

James wrote:

> I just had to say if there were no Simply Mepis i would probably never
> have started messing with Linux again. I tried Debian many years ago
> and could'nt even get it installed. A while back i installed Mandrake
> 8 and played with it until something crashed and i could never get the
> OS running again. Lately i have tried Ubunti, Knoppix, Mandriva and a
> couple of other distros but i keep coming back to Mepis. I have been
> running the 2004-10 mepis and learning things. I just burned a Mepis
> 3.3.1-1 iso and am going to see if things are even better. Trying
> something new here by using a athlon 2500 puter i built earlier this
> year.
>
> yes, i run Win XP but i am getting tired of all that you have to do
> just to keep trojans, viruses, and spyware off your computer. If linux
> was as easy to use as Windows i would have converted long ago.

Hmm good network/computer security is never hard or long if you break
it down into simply procedures.

P.S. If you continue to use windows you can fix most of your Trojans,
Viruses and Spyware but simply putting a Hosts file on the machine that
is matained by a number of people. It stops 90 percent of pop ups
almost blocks all spyware and trojan sites leaving a pretty darn end
user safe machine.