Re: [SLUG] mysql setup

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 09:41:09 EST

On Thursday 29 December 2005 12:10 am, Chuck Hast wrote:
> I am trying to learn how to set up mysql. The machine is a SuSE 10 machine.
> I have installed mysql and started it, the instructions are calling for me
> to run mysql control center, but it does not appear to be on the distro
> DVD.

I know that is part of what I was bitching about with SuSE.

> I pulled down one that was on 9.3, it told me I needed a lib, which I
> downloaded, when I went to install it, YaST told me I needed to remove a
> load of newer files, at which point I stopped the install.

You can not do that. SuSE 9.3 and 10.0 use different version of the compiler
so one can not take programs from one to the other.

> According to the book I am using I should have mysql control center
> installed, but does not appear to be, it is not on the suse 10 DVD that I
> installed all of it from either.

Yes, we know.

> I do not know if the control center has been replaced with something else
> or what. I was just trying to get it loaded so I could try and learn how to
> use it. --
> Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --

Since SuSE does not follow the Red Hat / Mandrake standard way of doing things
my knowledge of SuSE is to low to advise you how to proceed except in a
general form.

1. You can switch distributions to one in which you got what you paid for.
2. You can fix it yourself which most likely means that you will need to do a
full and complete compile of source code as obtained from MySQL. Or, one
could find the missing components from some SuSE source; problem with this is
that you will run into the issue that I ran into with Mandrake 10.1 in that
the update are compiled different than what is on the CDs or what you
downloads which takes you back in a circular rout of being exactly where you
are now.
3. You can get someone of superior knowledge to fix it for you. This option
since we are not in Silicon Value may prove difficult. I have had almost zero
success in this method even when I offered to pay high commercial rates for
help. Don't expect a lot of help at a linux meeting as the structure and
length of meetings preclude that.

SOTL