Re: [SLUG] Debian

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 17:04:46 EST

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 16:33 -0500, SOTL wrote:

> I have a SuSE 9.2 box set which does exactly what the OpenSuSE download
> version does. Tech support on the 9.2 ran out a long time ago. How does the
> fact tech support ran out alter the fact that SuSE did not supply a quality
> produce. If you did not receive a quality product the first time would you
> not check out the product for functionality the next time. I did with my
> download of 10.0.

We've dealt with this in several other posts. Put it to bed please.

> > People are at this state because you are not giving any kind of proper
> > feedback. Instead of complaining about things try posting _exactly_
> > what you are doing and what you've done.
>
> Where additionally should I go with this?
>

> I am on the Open Office user, Mandrake user list, and Mandrake batabase list
> I am not on any Red Hat or SuSE list as I simply do not like either. At times
> in the past I was there too. I can assure the developers are well aware of my
> opinion.

I've been on this list for 2+ years now and I basically remember your
offered advice, it was pretty open ended as they didn't get a very good
idea of where you were at in the process. I'll go back and review as I
have the whole stinking thing (last 2 years) in a folder on my computer
at home. I think I'm actually going to have to start doing the Dylan
MySql e-mail thing. It's up to something like 6500 messages minus a few
lengthy OT threads from our good friend Brian J.Smith that I couldn't
stand to keep.

> Recall these postings were not a request for help with installing, an ODBC or
> JDBC connector or a request for help with SuSE and MySQL not working but was
> simply a request for help with downloading and installing Debian. And at the
> time my sole desire for help was to find out if what I had done was correct
> or not.

Indeed, you are correct. As the subject indicates, these are about your
Debian install issues but YOU needlessly dragged SuSE and others through
the mud when it does (at least I can get it to do) exactly what you
want. That is what I'm trying to point out. You don't like them?
fine. But don't say that it doesn't work. I can prove otherwise.

So are you not interested in a complete walk through step by step with
OpenSuSE? I guarantee I can get it to work. If not I will not waste my
time on it.

> > And again, changing distros doesn't help any of this. All you are
> > doing is adding more stuff to have to learn before you can get down to
> > the real thing you want to accomplish. All the distros can handle
> > mysql. I'm sure of it. Stick with what you know best.
>
> Stick with what works if you have the expectation that it will continue to
> work in the future.

> It is time to look for something else. If Debian does the trick and I hope it
> does then the time spent switching is well worth the effort.

However, duly noted is the fact that Debian users are telling you to
stick with a GUI commercial distro as Debian is harder to configure. It
may be better at handling package dependencies but you're going to have
a lot more fun trying to configure some of the things by hand.

Good Luck.

Mike Branda Jr.