Re: [SLUG] mysql setup

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 14:58:51 EST

On Thursday 29 December 2005 07:09 pm, Mavrick wrote:
> On 12/29/05, Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > do a

> > > This is simply not true. Do a google search for MySQL rpm packages
> > > and
> >
> > you
> >
> > > will find plenty to choose from. Better yet, go to SuSE/Novell's
> >
> > website
> >
> > > directly and search their rpm repositories and download the one already
> > > packaged for your specific version. Install using YAST and it works.
> > > Nothing special need be done on your as far as the installation goes.
> > > Configuration is a little more customizable.
> >
> > That is what I did and it gave me product for SuSE 9.3 but not 10.0. I
> > even tried the 9.3 stuff and got all sort of dire warnings if I tried it.
> > Also
> > was told that I had to remove a boat load of newer files in order to
> > insall
> > a lib set of files.
> >

> > --
> > Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
> > To paraphrase my flight instructor;
> > "the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going
> > out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn
> > and twisted metal."
>
> I have heard this from at least 1 SuSE user (that SuSE isn't as fast as
> some other distros when it comes to getting the latest and greatest
> applications available to the masses). However, MySQL is hardly cutting
> edge. I believe you that the rpm for 10.0 may not available for download
> by itself from SuSE/Novell, but I'm sure you can find it out there some
> where.
>
> The SuSE 10.0 install that you have referred to, is it store bought or did
> you download it? I am sure that MySQL would be included either way. It's
> too common and widely used to be left off. It may not be part of the base
> install and you may have to select it as an option. The link below
> verifies that it is included in 10.0.
>

> http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/professional/mysql-client.html
>
> Regarding additional SuSE 10.0 rpm's, I found the following site that
> includes the administrator package:
>
> http://lenz.homelinux.org/RPMs/10.0-i386/
>
> A little google can go a long way. Just keep digging and you will turn
> something up.
>
> Mav

Hi Mav

Thanks for the advice and I sincerely mean that.

But! Let me explain.

I do not like SuSE. I was willing to give SuSE a third chance. The first time
I tried SuSE Red Hat 5.3 was going strong. You can figurt the years I can
not. The second time was when Red Hat came out with 8.0 and the Blue curve.
For some reason maybe it was my first experience I just feel that I should be
elseware.

The last time I was this discusted with commerical Linux was the second time I
gave SuSE a chance. I finally settled on Mandrake as an apporiate
distribution.

What I now see happening is that Mandriva is going to be as buggie as a
collonie of bed bugs honoring me by allowing me to be the guest of honor. I
just do not believe I want to go through that hell a third time,

I tried SuSE; it did not work out of the box; to bad; good by SuSE ant that is
exactly the way I feel.

Thanks again for the technical advice.

SOTL