Re: [SLUG] NOW: SuSE Gateway WAS: mysql setup

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 21:02:17 EST

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 18:35 -0500, Chuck Hast wrote:
> On 12/29/05, Mike Branda <mike@wackyworld.tv> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 09:48 -0500, Chuck Hast wrote:
> >
> > > Actually this one is only the 2nd issue I can really say I have had. I still can
> > > not get the stupid thing to pick up the gateway so I have to go in and manually
> > > tell it the default gw. The rest of it works just fine, until this
> > > one.
> >
> > Chuck, Is this a wired or wireless interface?? Have you done a Yast2
> > --> Network Services --> Routing and enter in the Default Gateway there
> > at the top and click finish?? I noticed a few years ago that I had a
> > funny gw issue when playing with the if-scripts outside of YaST.
> >
> > What's the output of "cat /etc/sysconfig/network/routes"?
> I have entered the routing and dns both via the GUI and manually, I still
> end up with the same problem.
>
> Sorry, I looked and there is no such file under that path, I am trying to find
> it elsewhere.

huh? something is very wrong then. All my SuSE boxes since 9.0 have
had that file.

Are you using the Ndiswrapper or a native driver? What kind of card?

Did you set the card/driver up through YaST or are you calling some
script you created manually (i.e. a modprobe)?

Humor me and follow this again anyway... Yast2 --> Network Services -->
Routing and enter in the Default Gateway there at the top and click
finish. If after that there's no /etc/sysconfig/network/routes file
then there's something else going on and we'll take it from there.

There's dozens of things to try like calling the wireless later in the
init scripts etc. I could probably do one up for you if it gets to
that.

In the other post you talk about having to scan for ssid's and have
trouble getting it to lock on. Have you tried out wlassistant?? It's
spectacular. No really! I was doing the whole iwlist iwconfig thing
too. While glad I know how to do it.... this tool is great!

screenshots:

https://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=134488

9.1 thru 9.3 rpms and src rpms:

http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-navigation.php?cat=/Network/wlassistant

If you have 10, which you do, guru hasn't built a i386 rpm for 10.
only the x86_64 so I did a rpmbuild --rebuild. The i386 rpm for SuSE 10
is only 97k so if you want it I can e-mail it to you as an attachment.
Let me know if you want it.

Coincidentally, since this this is the second time today that I'm
talking about building rpms...if anybody is interested our own Kwan Lowe
has written a bunch on this at:

http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/rpm/

although Krpmbuilder builds a slightly different spec file that uses sed
to separate out and sort the %files for dirs, files and man page stuff.

There's also Deb, Knoppix and Slack packages available from the main
page:

http://wlassistant.sourceforge.net/

Mike Branda Jr.