Re: [SLUG] NOW: SuSE Gateway WAS: mysql setup

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 18:43:14 EST

On 12/30/05, Mike Branda <mike@wackyworld.tv> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 23:10 -0500, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > > Are you using the Ndiswrapper or a native driver? What kind of card?
> >
> > On the desktop it is a wireless card, it uses a broadcom chip. Right now I
> > am using Ndiswrapper, but there is a driver out there now that I plan on
> > using.
> >

> Yeah, I use Ndis with the original Broadcom too. It's a Dell truemobile
> integrated card. Set my dad up with the special 64 bit Broadcom driver
> and Ndis on a Compaq Athlon64 running SuSE 10 64bit.
>

> > > Humor me and follow this again anyway... Yast2 --> Network Services -->
> > > Routing and enter in the Default Gateway there at the top and click
> > > finish. If after that there's no /etc/sysconfig/network/routes file
> > > then there's something else going on and we'll take it from there.
> > >

> > OK, I did it again and the routes file is now there. Here is the
> > interesting thing when I shut the machine down and start it back up I
> > will have to go through the whole process again, it appears that the
> > file gets removed at some point.
>
> Probably due to the dhcp pull. It's strange that I set this up for my
> dad through YaST and it works on boot up every time and he uses dhcp.
> Well as long as ndiswrapper is getting loaded at boot, then the
> wlassistant will probably save you from having to enter the routes
> manually anyway.
>
> > The only reason I do not use it all
> > the time is I can do the route add much faster than open YaST and go
> > through the screens in order to set it up. I can bring up a CLI and
> > check it all out and fix it in about 1/4 of the time it takes for me
> > to get through YaST and be done with it.
> >

> I completely agree. I don't use YaST for that either I just do the
> route add default gw thing too but I don't load my card at boot. To me
> the issue with that is that the card is always on with the driver loaded
> and sucks more battery than when I have the driver unloaded due to the
> transmitter. When I need to use my wireless, I run a shell script that
> loads the driver and sets the interface up on demand. I also have one
> that ifdown's the interface and unloads the driver.
>
> I just wanted you to try it to rule it out. In order to automate it so
> it's not an embarrassment you'll probably have to either call it with an
> init script at the end, a regular bash script, or somehow change the
> permissions on that file so that it stays there on reboot.
>
> > > There's dozens of things to try like calling the wireless later in the
> > > init scripts etc. I could probably do one up for you if it gets to
> > > that.
> > >

> > I have thought about that my self, I learned a lot about timing when I set up
> > the FPAC switch I am running here at home. You start something up when
> > something else is not ready for it and things do not always go right.
> >

> I remember you dealing with that. Did you ever get that other remote
> station back up with proper login permissions?

I think that was the one where we were trying to get "listen" to run as a
shell, I got it to do so, but no one else seems to. Not sure why... Seems
I get more things to run than I am supposed to, got to be due to sheer
dumb luck. I have had several people ask me how I got it to run as a
shell, I have sent them all of the stuff I did and it does not work for them.

I really do not use it that way either as I can not get the color part to run
when it is running as a shell.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;