RE: [SLUG] Re: Doorman - opening firewall ports

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 19:44:56 EST

>From: Levi Bard <taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: [SLUG] Re: Doorman - opening firewall ports
>Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:09:57 -0600
>
>I'm basically against portknocking as a security layer. It's the kind
>of security-by-obscurity thing that will give people a false sense of
>safety while it in fact does little or nothing at all. The only port
>knocking implementations I've seen that attempt to block replay
>attacks use onetime pads for the port sequences, but if you're going
>to use onetime pads, you may as well use them for authentication and
>cut out the middleman. One of my previous employers ran a onetime pad
>authenticator on a high port - until you authenticated with that
>service, everything was closed to you. Once you authenticated, your
>allowed set of ports was opened to the IP from which you
>authenticated, as long as you kept the auth connection open and
>active. Less convoluted than port knocking, and at least as secure.
>
> > If your port knocking protocol permits replay attacks, then you really
> > haven't kept out the most interested folks.
>
>Or *any* of the folks who would have been able to realistically
>compromise the system.

If you're previous employer ran an authenticator on a high port, doesn't
that mean that the port was open for the world to see? If so, that open port
would indicate that there was in fact a host at the given IP address.

If I understand port knocking correctly, the neat thing about it is that the
server is completely invisible (no open ports at all) unless the correct
"knock" is sent. It's a neat idea and one that I wasn't familiar with until
it came up on this list. I agree that other safeguards should certainly be
in place, but doorman seems like it would be quite useful.

-Jonathon