Re: [SLUG] GTroubleshoot

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 09:59:54 EST

> So, I switched from sarge to ... etch? Whatever testing is these days, I
> went from stable to testing w/ Debian. But now I've got a wierd problem
> w/ Gnome: it will start, but when I get to the desktop, nautilus and a
> few other programs will start, stop, start, stop, ad infinitum...I'll
> never get a usable desktop, and the only way to get it to stop is to log
> in from another box and kill gdm. KDE works fine, except it has
> problems, too, but it's at least usable.
>
> I realize that testing doesn't mean it'll work out okay, but what I'm
> wondering is how to troubleshoot the problem that I've got with Gnome.
> I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled gnome (apt-get remove
> --purge gnome*), thinking that some config file is corrupt somewhere,
> but that didn't work. I don't know what else to do to troubleshoot the
> problem to fix it.

Hmm, IME testing is generally as solid as a stable release of most
other distros. Can you start X/Gnome manually and check the output in
the console to see what's causing it to die? Or check your gnome
session to see what all it's launching? If I've ever had stability
issues with gnome, it's because of nautilus - I'd just as soon they
scrapped it and went back to gmc, or put some work into improving an
already decent filemanager. Oops, end of semi-tangential rant. Also
worth trying is creating a new user (with a clean homedir) and seeing
if you have the same issues with that, then migrating over your
conffiles until you hit a problem again.

--
Debianista!