Re: [SLUG] Linux distribution chooser.

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 11:04:16 EST

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 10:35 -0500, Robert Snyder wrote:

> I had a problem with the test. apparently if i select I have
> something great than 1ghz machine then i get gentoo if i say i have a
> 1ghz or less i get gentoo/slackware if i select 500mhz I get just
> slackware.
>
> The test is skewed.

Uhhhh.....that's a little off. If it were skewed, it would offer the
same few no matter what you choose. The point of this distribution
chooser seems to be that it offers suggestions based on your answers.
Their answers on machine speed obviously vary due to criteria on the
back side. What's that criteria? Who knows. Maybe they just input
what the distro says it works _best_ with rather than the minimum
required. Although a search of their site turns up

CPU i486 or later Memory 64 MB Diskspace 1.5 GB (excluding swap space)
Swap space At least 256 MB as the minimum. That's pretty slow and old.

But I still think it's trying to do what's best based on your
what/where they are getting criteria from?

Mike Branda Jr.