[SLUG] command line - re-combining extracted files

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 02:56:38 EDT

Hello Sluggers,

Been copying some of my favorite DVD movies and making backups of my
grandchildren's games using the command line programs like vobcopy,
tcextract & requant to shrink them to reproduce them and have fit on a
regular sized DVD.

The other night when I ripped a DVD it surprised me by creating 3
separate vob files of 2,2,&1.5 gigs. Now, that won't fit on a regular
DVD. Meed to be converted and shrunk. The first vob converted perfectly
to an m2v video file which was playable, but the second & third would
not. They converted to the m2v file extension and were the proper size
but could not be viewed.

I am guessing that there is some code in the first vob that controls the
second & third, and they need to be re-combined before conversion or
when I actually extract them to the m2v format.

So, the problem is, before being able to proceed further can they simply
be cat(ted) together, and if so what is the command?

Or, when I go to tcextract them include all of the vob's in one line to
recombine them for the output in the extraction process?

Have tried many variations of the following command:

tcextract -i input1.vob input2.vob input3.vob -t vob -x mpeg2 >
movie.m2v

That will extract a readable/playable file for the first vob and
completely ignores the 2nd & 3rd. Variations on this produce error
messages. As you can see I am not very familiar with all of the options
and nuances of command line structure.

I've checked howto's mailing lists that do these kinds of things and
googled forever. Nothing seems to address this particular situation.
I realize this is a kind of "off the wall" kind of question but perhaps
the guru's on this list can help me with the proper command line
commands to accomplish this.

Hoping that someine in this list will understand what I am babbling
about. Please ask if you do not and are willing, or think you may be
able to try to help.

Bob S.