Re: [SLUG] SCSI

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 08 2006 - 14:13:04 EST

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, michael hast wrote:

> I'm thinking of using SCSI's on the new machine. I don't think I
> want to get a server board, but I've been looking at these PCI SCSI
> controller cards. Is that really as simple as it is? Does one simply
> plug the card into the slot, hook up the drives to it and format them to
> the system? (These things are strange and new to me. :-P) Plus, have
> any of you used them under Linux? I would really like to use a couple
> SCSI's as my only local hard drives and leave my IDE channels open for
> cd/dvd/zip/etc. Any imput is welcome. Thanks.

I had a SCSI CD-R(W) (until it died of old age), and it was /dev/scd0 (or
/dev/sr0). USB drives show up as SCSI, and they're accessed as /dev/sdXY
where X=device # among all devices (I think) and Y=partition #. I may be
wrong about X. A SCSI card provides a BIOS (at least mine does) in which
you can say which IDs to scan, their maximum transfer rates, etc. You can
save boot time by not scanning nonexistent devices. I don't know how much
attention Linux pays to what the card says anyhow. You can see what Linux
thinks is out there with "cdrecord -scanbus". My only SCSI drive is a
USB/"SCSI" one, and you just use normal tools (fdisk, mkfs, lilo, fsck) on
it, same as you would on any other drive.

Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!