Re: [SLUG] SCSI

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Jan 08 2006 - 19:51:32 EST

> A. I use scsi quite a bit.
> B. I have used most scsi card brands
> C. i find scsi to be over price compared to SATA
>
> 1. Stay way from Tekram, or other lesser quality brands. No one ever
> got fired for buying adaptec and a good adaptec card can be had very
> cheaply on Ebay. ( note that is the only thing you will find cheap)
> Though I havewon a number of of scsi drives on the cheap with out
> issue but I would not reccomend it..

I was planning on going used... ...I may have to look at SATA as
well. I haven't spent the $$$ yet, so I will self-educate and not go
off half-cocked by any measure for sure.

> 2. Make sure to get a card with a bios. Not all scsi cards comes
> with it own bios, and hence not all cards will be able to boot an os.
> Remember if you want to boot off the drive make sure it has a system
> bios on the card. Hence going back to reason 1 buy a quality adaptec
> card.

This is good info. Thanks! That's actually not something that I would
have ever thought of looking at.

> 3. Seagate, Quantum, IBM/Hitachi Ultrastars are the only drives I
> deal with. But have heard good things about Compaq/HP scsi drives but
> have never tested one.

I've been looking at Seagates. Used, they are pretty cheap, and a
Seagate has never let me down. My limited experience tells me that
those drives are built like tanks.

> 4. Serial ATA is much cheaper and quieter and very high preformance
> consider this option first.

Refer to my response above. Duelly noted.

> 5. Be prepared for Noise.... While most scsi drives do not sound like
> a gidercounter, Just the noise of them spinning at 10,000 rpms makes a
> nice audiable hum though will not be too noticeable when in a room
> full of other computers.

I've got two large aquariums with venturies whirring away in the same
room. It would have to be hellishly loud to be intrusive. Well, I'm
off to ebay to look at SATA's. Thanks for the advice. If I wind up
going SCSI, I know what to look for.

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
"Fire is clean, fire is bright"  --Ray Bradbury, Ferinheight 451