Re: [SLUG] SCSI

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Jan 08 2006 - 19:17:48 EST

On Sunday 08 January 2006 14:16, michael hast wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I'm thinking of using SCSI's on the new machine. I don't think I

I think the first thing to look at is what's good about SCSI.
The key thing is that they can handle multiple requests. An IDE can only
service one request at a time. Interestingly enough I just realized that I
never looked into wether or not SATA can handle multiple requests. I'm going
to assume they don't until I see otherwise.

Where SCSI stands out then is as server storage where many users will access
it. (Though sales are soo low these days that you'll be hard to find anyone
who has them in stock.)

I did see that you can build an IDE RAID 10, which is a combination of RAID 1
and 0, which can keep up with a top of the line SCSI system. Except instead
of spending several thousand it only cost about 2,500. (The price are about a
couple of years out of date.)

Now this is a pretty big setup with eight drives. They got the multiple access
performance that high by, 1 having many drives, and 2 by a large cache. It
stayed parallell with SCSI through the end of the test.

So for home use I agree with the previous poster who said stick with SATA. You
will not see a performance difference on a single user system going to SCSI,
but you will spend a lot more money.

The RAID controller for SATA that I like using is 3Ware. Very good Linux
support and not too expensive, while very high quality and performance.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.