{Fraud?} {Disarmed} Re: [SLUG] How will MS use the FAT patents?

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 11:41:53 EST

Microsoft would be suicidal to attempt to enforce the patent, given its
already tenuous antitrust situation.

On 1/12/06, Richard Morgan <rmorgan@heavysystems.com> wrote:

> This has really cast a dark cloud over the Open Source community and shows
> how a
> company like Microsoft can stifle the marketplace by restricting the use
> of FAT
> (especially with such a widespread technology). I don't understand how
> Microsoft could possibly get a patent for something that has been used for
> the
> last 20 years by the whole computer industry. IANAL.
>
> I know that my digital camera and PDA uses FAT for the flash storage
> devices
> which I also use with Linux and I'm concerned with Microsoft using this
> patent
> to prevent this HUGE market from being used with Linux.
>
> Anyway, I downloaded ext2 drivers for my Windows machines last night...
>

> Sincerely,
> Richard Morgan
> Heavy Systems Administrator
> http://www.heavysystems.com
> Powerful web hosting and server solutions for your business.
> Heavy Systems is an Authorized AMD Solution Provider.

Steven Buehler | swbuehler@gmail.com/steven@swb.name
Web Site: http://www.swb.name | Mobile Blog:
http://swbuehler.textamerica.com
IM: stevenbuehlerfl (AIM), stevenwbuehler (Yahoo!),
stevenwbuehler@msn.com(MSN), 3565750 (ICQ)