Re: [SLUG] spamassassin vs pine

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jan 14 2006 - 20:55:09 EST

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Mike Branda wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 18:17 -0500, Eben King wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Mike Branda wrote:
> >
> > > Can you post your local.cf and your user_prefs from the etc spamassassin
> > > dir? (In SuSE /etc/mail/spamassassin)
> >
> > Stock; I haven't modified it. (Maybe that's the problem?)

[config file]

> > > Did you run spamassassin -D --lint?
> >
> > Lots of output.
> >
> > > There should be some sections referring to bayes (debug: bayes:)

[less output]

> Two things I did....
>
> set in local.cf: (which was there in that file but commented out)
>
> use_bayes 1

As mentioned in "perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf", right?

> although the docs say it's in/on by default.

Well that's good.

> and in user_prefs (home or etc):
>
> # How many hits before a mail is considered spam. Default is 5.
> required_hits 3
>
> which is depreciated in newer versions of SA but still works. The
> replacement parameter is required_score. I bumped that down which
> helped too. 5 was too high.

Did you have to add that parameter, or just change it?

> Hopefully you are just dropping maybe-spam to a different box and not
> dev/nulling it right?

Correct, there are two mailboxes, "almost-certainly-spam" and
"probably-spam". Only two messages have been pink enough to land in the
former.

> Look at the full headers of mail in your Inbox and see what SA inserts
> after the X-Spam-Status. You might see what it put there on both spam
> that got through and on legitimate mail. There should be something about
> the required hits and bayes including what rules it hit on.

grep ^X-Spam-Status mail/almost-certainly-spam mail/probably-spam mail/spam
| cut -f 3 -d ' ' | cut -f 2 -d = | sort -n > spam-scores

and likewise for ham. It looks as if a score threshold of 0 would catch
between 87% and 96% of spam, with between 0 and 0.4% false positives,
depending on where edge cases go.

> Obviously it looks in some order at local.cf, user_prefs (etc dir)

Where is that file? Could it go by another name? I have these:

[root@pc spamassassin]# ls /etc/mail/spamassassin/
init.pre local.cf

> and user_prefs (user dir). Logically I would think the user dir prefs file
> is the final authority but I didn't research that.
>
> I'm using version:
>
> perl-spamassassin-3.0.4-4.2.

I have:

SpamAssassin version 3.0.4
  running on Perl version 5.8.0

Sounds the same.

> The only other question is how are you calling SA? Procmail? Daemon?
> Some special feature of pine or mutt?

Procmail.

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| spamassassin

etc.

A lot of mail handling is Greek to me, so I'm just following directions.

A. A Top Poster                        \   http://www.fscked.co.uk/
B. Who's there?                         \   writing/
A. Knock-knock -- from bobward@xxx.com   \   top-posting-cuss.html