Re: [SLUG] SLi & Linux?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 01:52:15 EST

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, michael hast wrote:

> One of the motherboards I'm looking at to build the new box is
> Gigabyte's GA-K8N Pro-SLI. The coolest thing about this jewel is that
> it's got 2 PCI-E x16 slots! (I gather that's what the SLi means.) I
> also understand that in order to use it properly, it should be used with
> two SLi video cards connected with a little bridge. Do any of you know
> how this works with Linux, and if you can use two regular PCI-E cards to
> operate more heads under Xinerama? I want to go dual right off the bat,
> but the cool factor of having more would be great. Plus, I found a
> source on 21" CRT's that I can get for about $20.00/ea. (Government
> surplus is great!)

By concidence, I was talking to a friend of mine last night about his
computer, on which he has SLI.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-8178.html says it
supports SLI (that's for IA32). slizone.com is cute, but out of date.
Dunno when SLI will sift down to the open-source drivers; that depends on
when/if Nvidia releases the specs.

> If this isn't a great option, I'll probably just get a
> less-expensive AGP-slotted MoBo and if I want more heads later, I'll get
> them by way of a PCI card. I know that they are still out there, and I
> don't need the lightning-fast responsiveness on the periferal monitors.
> Thanks in advance!

Well, it depends how much snappy video / extra heat is worth to you.

Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!