Re: [SLUG] SLi & Linux?

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 10:46:01 EST

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 01:29 -0600, michael hast wrote:
> The coolest thing about this jewel is that
> it's got 2 PCI-E x16 slots! (I gather that's what the SLi means.)

(Forgot to mention this on my last post.)

Dual slots do not automatically mean SLI. SLI uses the small cable that
fits between two boards to allow the second board to be the slave of the
primary board. SLI requires two slots, but two slots don't make it SLI.
The OS can split the display between two boards without SLI, using the
main CPU to act as the traffic cop. SLI offloads this task from the CPU
and does it all on the graphic card, thus increasing the speed on really
heavy workloads.

Ken Elliott