Re: [SLUG] MoTU 896HD Audio box

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 13:39:32 EST

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 13:02 -0500, Chuck Hast wrote:
> I have a buddy at work who has one of these devices, he wants to know if
> it can be used under Linux. The device has 14 audio channels on it and it
> talks to the host PC using firewire.
>
> Here is the web page on the device:
> http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/896/body.html/en
>
> Figured I would give a holler here and see if anyone knows about using
> one of these devices.

Never used one. If it is able to be used, make sure he checks out
Ardour which uses JACK. It's amazing for multi-track audio work.

http://ardour.org/

For some reason, SuSE stopped packaging it in 10 so you either have to
use the 9.3 rpm, or build your own. I've tested the 9.3 rpm in 10 and
it works.

Some quick googling turns up:

http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/List_of_Supported_Devices
(all the way at the bottom)

which references this:

http://www.olafchrist.de/ieee1394/index.php

Towards the bottom there's some bzipped files. Looks like there's been
some success in talking to the device but still developmental. JACK
support is on the todo list.

Mike Branda Jr.