Re: [SLUG] Bananapos

From: Bill Glidden (bill@thegliddenfamily.com)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 14:22:53 EST

On 1/18/06 11:16 AM, "Robert Snyder" <res03q8w@gte.net> wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
>> Robert Snyder wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

<more snippage>
> I saw some reference of it months ago while getting a merchant account
> for a client. Could not find anything and really it needed to be able
> to communicate to the processor for a SSL connection as I was not going
> to play the dial up game as the modem require has to be older than dirt
> for it to work. Even full fleadge hardware modems have seem to have an
> issue connecting at the 14,400 kbps that (aka 14.4) that credit
> processors want
>> Paul

My company developed and sells a POS application for the hospitality
industry - restaurants mostly. We have to provide credit card processing as
part of our software. There are several credit card processors out there
that provide some form of TCP/IP connectivity for credit card processing.
Most will have other methods to interface including a modem, but that
becomes more of a backup in the event of a network failure. With the
internet connection, we can get a credit card approval back in 3-4 seconds
most of the time. Look at the following companies - this is just a small
sample:

Authorize.net - real easy to use, via an http connection
Protobase.com - proprietary library to format transactions and connect
shift4.com - also a proprietary library

These processors add transaction fees on top of what the credit card
companies charge, but it's not unreasonable. Most of them provide
"wholesale" transaction fees that allow a vendor to mark them up to the
customer for a little bit of extra revenue.