Re: [SLUG] Bananapos

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 17:12:44 EST

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Robert Snyder wrote:
> > Paul M Foster wrote:
> >
> >> Robert Snyder wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> Red Hat bought a company called Hells Kitchen Software some years ago.
> >> They had a product which allowed you to process credit cards without
> >> one of those terminals. Required a modem. Unfortunately, Red Hat only
> >> kept the product active for a short time, and now have closed it down.
> >>
> > I saw some reference of it months ago while getting a merchant account
> > for a client. Could not find anything and really it needed to be able
> > to communicate to the processor for a SSL connection as I was not going
> > to play the dial up game as the modem require has to be older than dirt
> > for it to work. Even full fleadge hardware modems have seem to have an
> > issue connecting at the 14,400 kbps that (aka 14.4) that credit
> > processors want
>
> Years ago, we wrote some software for interfacing a customer with his
> merchant service (really just straight text being transmitted). At the
> time, I tried to put a 56K modem in for this, and I was told that it
> wouldn't matter, because the merchant service (or whoever) only ran at
> *2400 baud*. Ugh.

The amount of time saved by transmitting the text faster would be more than
offset by the lengthened negotiation time. I'm surprised they don't go
slower.

SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming
from an open window.  Work a little harder on improving your low self
esteem, you stupid freak.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_