Re: [SLUG] playing dvd's

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jan 19 2006 - 00:18:48 EST

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, michael hast wrote:

> >The root user and members of the "disk" group have rw access, everybody else
> >has bupkis. Four solutions:
> >
> >1. Add yourself to the "disk" group:
> >gpasswd -A you disk
> >Log out, log in for this to take effect.
> >
> >2. Change that file to a group you _are_ in:
> >"groups" to list them, then "chown root.chosen_group /dev/hda".
> >Probably will break some things.
> >
> >3. Make the device world-readable:
> >chmod o+r /dev/hda
> >
> >4. Make a duplicate device:
> >mknod b 3 0 ~/mh-dvd
> >
> >I'd choose option #1.
> >
> What about "chmod a=rwx /dev/hda"?

A more extreme variant of #3.

> Well, that didn't work either. It works on Knoppix under Xine. I
> wonder what the heck is wrong here. Is that chmod not a valid solution
> here? It shouldn't matter who can read, write, or excecute in my dvd
> rom, should it?

Apparently, drive permissions aren't the problem. You want to show the
movie too (as well as read it from the drive), so look at your X server.
On my system, /etc/X11/XF86Config has

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

At one time I had

Section "Module"
    Load "dri"
EndSection

but that's commented out now. ISTR a module "glx" being somehow involved...

Anyhow, check your X config file.

LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al