Re: [SLUG] Ubuntu questions

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (tyler.v@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 08:23:50 EST

On 1/20/06, eben1@tampabay.rr.com <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> So I put Ubuntu 5.10 ("Breezy Badger"... where do they get these names?)
> on my machine tonight, after making a complete backup. I have a couple
> questions'
>
> 1. How do I use apt-*? I've used strictly rpm since the mid 1990s.
>
> 2. I like fvwm2 as a window manager, but cannot find it in the list of
> packages offered by Synaptic. Same with a couple more programs. Should
> I go ahead and compile them from source? Is there an "official" way, so
> that the database knows about them?
>
> 3. It seems every package I tell Synaptic to remove (OK, not *every*
> one...) says ubuntu-desktop depends on it. What *is* that? Some of the
> others claim that its removal will render the system unusable. Will it
> really?
>
> 4. I haven't looked around, but DVD/mp3/movie file players, and mixer
> adjusters (alsactl is fine)?
>
> I'm sure I'll have more, as I haven't done a complete upgrade like this
> in years.
>
> --
> -eben

ubuntu-desktop is a meta-package, which means all it has are dependencies.
It's designed to make the installation of lots of unrelated packages
easier. You could uninstall ubuntu-desktop and install ubuntu-minimal
instead, which might be more what you're looking for.

Also, in synaptic, there are a few repositories you should add to get the
packages you want, the ones you want, in addition to main, are universe and
multiverse.

For dvd and other potentially litigous packages like w32codecs, add the
penguin liberation front repository for ubuntu. I'm trying to build a
gtkpod-aac deb that works with video ipods, but I stink at making debs, so
right now it only works on my system.

Let me know if these help, or when you have more

Tyler