Re: RE: [SLUG] Ubuntu questions

From: eben1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 14:48:26 EST

Gah, I hate webmail. Gotta get pine working.

From: Sick Twist <thesicktwist@hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, January 20, 2006 9:12 am

> >From: eben1@tampabay.rr.com
> >Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 01:48:22 -0500

> >So I put Ubuntu 5.10 ("Breezy Badger"... where do they get these
> >names?)

> In the past, I believe that Mark Shuttleworth (guy who started Ubuntu)
> picked the names. The next release of Ubuntu, due in April, will be called
> "Dapper Drake".

What happened to a "C" name?

> After Dapper,
> the names will be picked from suggestions sent in from the
> community and each name will start with the next letter of the
> alphabet that follows the first letter of the previous release.

Good, so there _is_ a method to their madness. AFAICT, with Debian,
you just have to memorize the order of the releases (unless there's a
pattern I haven't picked up on). Ubuntu is going to find slim pickins
when they get to Q.

> Also, the Ubuntu versioning system is a little unusual as it is
> based on the date of release. The version numbers for releases are
> in X.Y format where X is the two digit year and Y is the month.
> (e.g. Ubuntu 5.10 was released in October 2005).

Fine with me, as long as they sort properly.

> >on my machine tonight, after making a complete backup. I have a
> >couple questions'
> >
> >1. How do I use apt-*? I've used strictly rpm since the mid 1990s.
>
> apt-get update
> apt-cache search epiphany
> apt-get install epiphany-browser
> apt-get upgrade epiphany-browser
> apt-get upgrade

Cool, thanks. How do I install a .deb file?

> >2. I like fvwm2 as a window manager, but cannot find it in the
> >list of packages offered by Synaptic. Same with a couple more
> >programs. Should I go ahead and compile them from source? Is
> >there an "official" way, so that the database knows about them?
>
> apt-get uses repositories which are groups of packages (binary or
> source) that can be automatically installed from the Internet.
> The configuration file for the repositories to use is
> /etc/apt/sources.list. Check out the man page for sources.list

Pretty Greekish (the man page, not your explanation). I assume
once I become more familiar with The Debian Way it'll become more
comprehensible.

I did uncomment some other repositories already in
/etc/apt/sources.list. More packages were installable, but sadly
not pine or fvwm2. For now I'm using metacity (like "metadata", or
like "metastasize"?) because it doesn't have all the doodads of
Gnome or KDE.

> Basically the structure is this:
> A B C D1 [D2 ...]
>
> A - type of packages (usually deb or deb-src)
> B - address of repository
> C - name of release (e.g. breezy)
> D - one or more types of packages to be included (Ubuntu uses main,
> restricted, universe and multiverse to group packages based on
> their degree
> of security updates, legal status, etc).
>
> Here is an example line from my sources.list file:
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted
> universe
> multiverse

Is there any kind of priority associated with the package type order?

> As Tyler already mentioned, Debian (and hence Ubuntu) occasionally
> make use of "metapackages" to allow the user to easily install
> a group of packages. The metapackage does not actually contain
> any files itself, so removing it does no harm.

Until you go to do a dist-upgrade, right?

What about the threatened OS failure? Is that for real?

> >I'm sure I'll have more, as I haven't done a complete upgrade like
> >this in years.

> Well now that you have a Debian-based distro you have no reason to
> wait years for upgrades. :)

I think I detected irony there...

But anyhow, upgrades were available, I just didn't want to risk
damaging my finely-tuned (HAH!) installation. After I broke some
libraries, that point was moot anyhow, so after I built a USB drive
(that I could back everything up to and then TURN OFF), I went ahead
and bit the bullet.