Re: [SLUG] xorg woes

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 23:27:57 EST

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Sick Twist wrote:

>> From: Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>
>> To: slug@nks.net
>> Subject: Re: [SLUG] xorg woes
>> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:18:21 -0500 (EST)
>> <snip>
>> So I install nvidia-glx, it says "to enable run sudo somecommand".
>> Okey-doke. I try that command, "bad password". Huh, maybe I fat-fingered
>> it. Carefully enter root's password, "bad password". Enter MY password,
>> "eben is not an authorized sudo user". $%^&, why did it SAY to type that
>> then?
>
> The user account created during the Ubuntu installation is able to use sudo.
> Any accounts created after that must be added to the admin group for the
> ability to use sudo. This can be done through the GNOME GUI (System -->
> Administration --> Users and Groups) or with CLI tool like usermod
>
> When using sudo, it is your password that is being requested. The root
> account has no password set

when I installed, it asked me for a password for the root account, so I set
one.

> (the root account is disabled completely) by default.

Huh. I don't recall doing anything explicitely to enable it, yet I can su,
log in as root, whatever.

> While it is certainly possible to enable the root account, this works
> against the way Ubuntu is designed (for instance, some launchers in GNOME
> are preconfigured to use sudo when root access is needed).

A passwordless root account where sudo can be called for any purpose sounds
like a very bad idea. Heck, why not "sudo ifdown" or "sudo deluser"? Any
program worth the bits it's printed on would ask for a password if one is
required.

> PS. If you wish to compile programs, install the build-essential package.
> This is a metapackage that will make sure gcc, autotools and the like are
> installed as they are not included after a default install.

Are virtual packages those indicated by an orange "Ubuntu" circle in
Synaptic? How do I see what's included in one? For that matter, how do I
get a (text) listing of what packages are installed? Or what package owns a
particular file?

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.