Re: [SLUG] xorg woes

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2006 - 17:25:12 EST

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Sick Twist wrote:

>> From: Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>
>> To: slug@nks.net
>> Subject: Re: [SLUG] xorg woes
>> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:27:57 -0500 (EST)
>>
>> A passwordless root account where sudo can be called for any purpose sounds
>> like a very bad idea. Heck, why not "sudo ifdown" or "sudo deluser"? Any
>> program worth the bits it's printed on would ask for a password if one is
>> required.
>
> It's not a passwordless root account per se, the root account is not enabled.
> Meaning that no one is able to log-in with it until it is explicitly turned
> on (which seems to be a good idea). It is a lot different than a Windows
> administrator account with a blank password that anyone can access.

Well, if an environment running as you can su no-questions-asked at any
time, what's to stop you from doing the same thing, without the environment?
And if the environment runs as root, why should it think that task A is
worthy of extra privileges, but task B isn't? How's it to tell them apart?

>> Are virtual packages those indicated by an orange "Ubuntu" circle in
>> Synaptic?
>
> The packages with the Ubuntu logo next to them in Synaptic indicate packages
> that are in the "main" section of the Ubuntu repository and thus are
> officially supported (get more testing, receive security updates, etc).

Gotcha. Is there some magic option to apt-* to make it cough up a list of
installed packages?

(I need to haul my .signature-randomizer off the backup.)

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.