Re: [SLUG] dual boot

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 13:57:47 EST

On Sunday 22 January 2006 11:42, michael hast wrote:
> Hey, everybody!

> coin and still save them in the same place. How do I do this? Am I
> destine to reinstall again, or can I simply slip another carefully
> formatted partition in somewhere? Any and all help welcome. Thank you!

Windows wants to be on the first partiiton, on the first drive. It has to be
installed first or it will overwrite the boot sector, hiding grub, or lilo.

Under Grub you can fool windows into thinking it is on the first drive with a
Grub swap command.

I've used the ntfs patch for a very long time and never had any problems
reading or writing from Linux. (The only real problems where writing to NTFS,
but as far as I've was able to tell mostly under the 2.4 kernel and quite
some time ago. But I could be wrong, so your milage could vary. A quick
google should reveal if anyone is having problems these days.)

As was pointed out fat can safely be used by both O/S's.

You can download the NTFS patch here:
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html#NTFS

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.