[SLUG] BASH and a comm port

From: Ron Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 22:12:49 EST

A bash question.

   My stupid LINUX books only say some special understanding (of some kind)
is required to deal with comm. ports when using bash script files.
(I can do anything with a few examples, but they are scarce in my books,
  I am just a user.)

   I have a project at work where I have DOS text strings constantly coming
into a computer (it will be operating just LINUX with no X windows system
at all) and I want to append a file (named with the current date) and also
tee to the display (for confidence) to a virtual terminal.

   At 0000 hrs a new file will be created and the string will be append that
file. This is a "logging function," I am using a M$ DOS laptop currently,
on a chair, but I need to use it elsewhere.
   I can easily do all of this from a file, but I need to get the string from
a comm. port. I don't want to run any comm. program. (as I am now: Telix)

   Can anyone point me to some reading that will help me along?

   Another related question:
   I think I want to start this program from int but I don't know how to
assign the tee-ed output to a virtual console # (unless it would default
to #1) which would be fine. Although everything is on a UPS, if the
computer does reboot I need the computer to resume as soon as possible.

   Using Slackware 2.4.26 kernel and a rack mounted old HP P-1 with a USB port
  and floppy. (the files vary between 148 k and 300 kb or so, so a floppy can
be used to transport the files to the desktop confuser)

--
    Ron  KA4INM