Re: [SLUG] Configuration Management and Linux Distributions in Large Scale Farms (was "hardware dependencies?")

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 16:13:59 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

> So do you compile all your packages from source? And when you upgrade
> machines you do so from your own repositories?

I've been moving away from handbuilding packages whenever there is a
debian equivalent. Due to the woody base, however, yes I am backporting
everything by recompiling via "apt-get source" and "dpkg-buildpackage"
(along with any tweaks absolutely essential).

Every metapackage has its own repository. Many metapackages may be
applied to a host (for performing multiple or complex tasks). As such,
metapackages "borrow" the latest version of packages from other
metapackages when they install. We update metapackages from our central
configuration repository. So, yes, we are running our own repositories.

 - Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>