Re: [SLUG] linksys and ip address.

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 19:17:40 EST

> I have Charter internet service that is a cable modem. I have a linksys router and
> I connect a
> linux pc all the time, but I use a w2k pc because all of my certification software
> is for a
> windows pc. I don't understand why sometimes I turn on ether linux or w2k and I
> can't connect to
> the internet.
>
> In linux I have tried to use ifconfig to bring eth0 down and then up but nothing
> happens. In
> w2k, I used the ipconfig /renew to get a new ip address, but it can't find anything
> to get an ip
> address.

In Linux you can try the "dhclient" program (run as root). It will attempt to grab
an IP address via DHCP.

It's not entirely clear if you're having an DHCP client issue or possibly a DNS
problem. If you run dhclient on the Linux machine, does "ifconfig -a" show an IP
address in the DHCP range? Does "cat /etc/resolv.conf" reflect your correct DNS
server?

Try posting the output of "ifconfig -a" before and after you run dhclient.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com