Re: [SLUG] Wireless Router Recommendations

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Sun Feb 05 2006 - 12:39:06 EST

Sick Twist wrote:
> A friend asked me to purchase a wireless router for her which I will do
> later today. She uses a laptop (D-Link DWL-G630 H/W Ver. C2 PCMCIA card
> with atheros chipset) running Ubuntu. I realize most if not all wireless
> routers should work with this setup but I'd prefer to support a
> Linux-friendly brand (or at the very least, avoid Linux-unfriendly
> brands). I'll probably look for a 2-4 port router with a wireless access
> point. Any brand recommendations?
>
> -Jonathon

Definetly Linksys WRT45G. There are some really good code out there that
can run on it that give you extra features.
For example I have the Sveasoft talisman code which allows me to use
WDS to connect 2 WRT45G's wirelessly to provide greater coverage in my
house. My main router is in my office. On the other side of the house I
didn't get good signal on the porch. I used WDS to link up the second
WRT45G and now have full signal.
http://www.linksysinfo.org/ for more info.