Re: [SLUG] sharing drives

From: clever guy (zod.linux@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 07:00:34 EST

In theory, this might be possible. However, I don't know of any utility
that will allow this. Perhaps someone knows of one.

The issue is transfer speed. Once you start burning a CD/DVD, you have to
have the data available in a constant stream. If the stream is interupted,
the burn fails and you have made a coster. Modern drives have rather large
buffers that will tolerate short interuptions, as long as the buffer is not
emptied. The burning program needs local access to the drive, but it
_might_ be possible to trick the application into reading from a shared
network drive.

But what you CAN do, is setup a shared folder on the PC with the CD/DVD
writer. From any machine, copy files to the shared folder, then go to the
Writer PC and burn the files there. Someone really clever might be able to
write an application that checks the folder, sees the existance of files,
waits a minute or two, then launches the buring app, then deletes all the
files. Of course, you still have to walk over there and drop in the disc,
so you're not really saving much effort.

The other option that might work is to create a "BurnCD" shared folder on
each PC, then (from the Writer PC) try to read from the remote PC's shared
folder and write to the local CD/DVD drive. I doubt this will work well,
but its woth a try. This won't save much leg work vs. the previous method.

Let us know what you find.

Ken