Re: [SLUG] RoadRunner blocking SLUG List

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sat Feb 11 2006 - 17:45:56 EST

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 00:54, Paul M Foster wrote:
> When I originally set up the New Member (Join) page, I set it up so
> that, along with whatever personal information they give us about
> themselves, there are buttons for s*bscr*bing to both the SLUG list and
> the SLUG Announce lists. These buttons are by default checked, to make
> it easy for them to get on the lists. However, I suspect that this has
> caused some inadvertent s*bscr*ptions (even though it tells them in big
> red letters what they're agreeing to), and possibly some ISP complaints.
> Consequently, as of now, I'm forcing those buttons to be unchecked by
> default. This may result in fewer list members over time, but should cut
> down on complaints.

I agree with you, one need to make someone specifically subscribe. For those
who cannot get through that simple process, don't belong on lists anyway as
they only cause a lot of problems for others.

The concept of how you sign up and subsequently get off is black magic to many
people as they cannot really read in the first place, and then cannot follow
simple instructions.

I've always been a firm believer of having the link to get off the list at the
bottom of each post. Makes it very easy to get off.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.