Re: [SLUG] sharing drives

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 07:47:30 EST

> michael hast wrote:
>> Is it possible to have a box read and write to a removable media drive
>> on another box in the network? ie-cd/dvd-rw? If so, how difficult a
>> task is this? There are several machines on my home network and it just
>> seems dumb to have to buy cd-burners for each of them. Thanks.
>>

> Sure. You have to make sure you've got media in the drive, mount it, and
> then share it via NFS or Samba. A removable media device is like any
> other as far as mounts and sharing are concerned.

Another option may be to use a loopback mounted ISO filesystem that's exported via
NFS. When complete, just burn the ISO.

Or use UnionFS (Check out the Copy-on-Write) section below:

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7714

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com