Re: [SLUG] graphics drivers

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 19:52:53 EST

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, michael hast wrote:

> In the anticipation of building my faster, more powerful machine, I have
> been gathering up parts as I find deals I can't refuse. I've decided to go
> with AGP instead of PCI-E. On Newegg, I found a card by EVGA that looked
> like a winner. It's a Nvidia GeForce FX5500 256MB that turns out to be about
> $45.00 after s/h & rebates. Not bad. It even came with a DVI to VGA adapter
> and a cute little s-cable to hook it to the TV. I downloaded the current
> Linux drivers from Nvidia, but I can't figure out how to start the
> self-installer. I have gotten as far as getting out of X by way of
> Ctrl-Alt-F1, switching to runlevel 3 with an init command and starting the
> installer. It tells me that it can't find the current kernel image source,
> so I got it with apt-get and tried again. Same thing. I restarted and tried
> again. Same thing. I'm running Debian 3.1 with kernel 2.6.8 and I don't
> know what I'm doing wrong. Please help me. I'm losing hair here. Thank
> you.

I had problems with Ubuntu's version of Linux, where it did the same thing.
Eventually I compiled a custom kernel (I was going to do that anyhow), which
shut it up. Also, if it hasn't yet, for me it complained about X running.
Switching to another VT wasn't sufficient; I needed to stop X (e.g.
"/etc/init.d/gdm stop"). Then it demanded reinstallation at every boot
(which in those days meant "quite often") lest glx not work, though
something else may have been at the root of that. I used 2.6.15.1; I can
send you .config if you go that route.

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.