Re: [SLUG] Kernel 2.6 print lockups

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 22:05:25 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I recently installed a new machine as my desktop, and upgraded Linux to
> the 2.6 kernel series. I also upgraded all the printing infrastructure
> (CUPS et al) to the latest version out of Debian unst*ble. Since I did
> this, I've had an intermittent problem with HARD lockups when printing.
> It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it locks up the
> machine so bad I can't even SSH in from another machine. I was just
> printing from Thunderbird, and as soon as it went to execute the print
> job, it locked up. The program I'm printing from doesn't matter. The
> printer knows it's about to get something, because the little light
> flashes like it's getting data. As soon as I reboot, the job that I sent
> to print now prints (usually).
>
> Anyone run into this?

Do you see anything in your kern.log or on the console when it crashes?

CUPS is really a userspace thing. If you're getting a hardware lockup,
I'd suspect whatever kernel driver you are using to talk to your printer
("usblp", etc).

Odd. It would be nice to get a kernel panic message from it if you can.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>