[SLUG] SCSI issue

From: James (penroses@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 13:26:31 EST

This is from a forum i go to and thought it was a good question?

 Need a linux guru to help me with this one.
I decided to install linux on my an35n ultra system. Wanted a distrib that
would get me up and running right away, but lighter weight and with a bit
more learning curve. Decided to try out VectorLinux. Its based on slackware.
My problem is that I have decided to install the OSs on this system on a
scsi drive. The scsi card is an aha-29160N. Which so happens NOT to be
detected by the VL install. Someone suggested on the VL forum that I need to
boot using the Slackware scsi (adaptec.s) floppy and from there then load
the VL root floppy to start the install. This worked perfectly. But, I am
stuck with needing to use the Slackware floppy to boot root on the scsi
drive. VL runs fine ...though lacking some hardware support ...it seems like
a great distribution, I'm hoping to get the boot issue resolved and then see
if the missing hardware can also be resolved ...which should be no problem
...hopefully.

Now as far as I understand I need to use initrd because I am booting from a
scsi drive. Not sure why I need a ramdisk image to do this. ?? But, even if
I add that to the lilo.conf, how would VL suddenly support my scsi card if
it didnt during the install? Do I need to add a driver or module (whatever
its called in the linux world) for the card? Another suggestion I was given
is to replace the kernel with the kernel from the slackware floppy. ?? I am
not at all sure how to do that and if it is even a good idea. What worries
me further is the fact that my promise IDE card is not supported and I would
assume that it would not be using the slackware kernel. ...but, as you can
see, I am over my head here.
Any suggestions?

JamesS

biggrin.gif