Re: [SLUG] Basic SAMBA Configuration

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 16:39:38 EST

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 03:34 pm, Craig Zeigler wrote:
> SOTL wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I am trying to make a Samba between two SuSE 10.0 boxes.
> >
> > Unfortunately I still get an error message:
> >
> > Can not find slp:/ in the tree Internal Error
> >
> > It believe that the source of the problem may be my smppasswd file are
> > incorrect.
> >
> > I would appreciate suggestion as to the validity of the following files:
> >
> > ____
> > SERVER smppasswd
> > # This file is the authentication source for Samba if 'passdb backend' is
> > set # to 'smbpasswd' and 'encrypt passwords' is 'Yes' in the [global]
> > section of # /etc/samba/smb.conf
> > #
> > # See section 'passdb backend' and 'encrypt passwords' in the manual page
> > of # smb.conf for more information.
> > root:0:7AFFBB23C42095FE1841B9F02226DD3D:CDA6A2FA4891C12AD967B90778206005:
> > [U ]:LCT-43EED964:
> > _____
> > CLIENT smbpasswd
> > # This file is the authentication source for Samba if 'passdb backend' is
> > set # to 'smbpasswd' and 'encrypt passwords' is 'Yes' in the [global]
> > section of # /etc/samba/smb.conf
> > #
> > # See section 'passdb backend' and 'encrypt passwords' in the manual page
> > of # smb.conf for more information.
> > _____
> >
> > The user name for the CLIENT is "trunk" with password "Clienttestpw"
> > The user name for the SERVER is "office" with password "Servertestpw"
> > _____
> >
> > Thanks
> > SOTL
> > This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
> > Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
> > posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
> > official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.
>
> Why would you bother using Samba between Linux boxen when something like
> rsync, scp, or NFS would be a much better solution.

Because that is the easiest way to set up any control or computer system
system be it Linux or Microsoft or what ever.

If possible first you take a computer from a system that is known to function
for its given usage correctly.

Then you add the first component to it that is unknown and attempt to make
that component work with the component that you know to operate correct.

Then you proceed on and add an additional component making it work too until
you get the system to work.

It is always much harder to take two components neither of which you know to
work correct with another and make them work together.

If you have to do this, two components which you do not know to function
correctly in a system, then it is best to use two components that are
identical from the same manufacture that eliminates the issue both saying it
is not our fault it is the other guy's fault.

The worst thing one can possible attempt is to take two components which may
or may not work correctly in a system from two different vendors and attempt
to marry their operation together while at the same time having as zero
experience in making such marriage one at that point is guaranteed a hard
time.

What I have done is attempt to eliminate as much of this as possible by
putting two identical systems in two computers and start attempting to marry
their operations.

Also you may consider neither computer being used for this is setup for MS
Windows simply because I have NO MS Windows system to install on either. This
is of course by choice as I am not going to pay for an inferior system.

You will note in all the above including my original post that there was
anything about what I am attempting to do. The only question that I ask was a
pure technical question and help with a basic configuration file. And, if I
recall correctly this is what started the last rank involving myself and
others on this list so lets just keep it this time to the simple original
technical question of are the two Samba files correct or not. I have no
desires to get into a rank about the relative merits of connecting a MS box
to a Linux box with NFS or Samba. Yes a MS box can be connected to a Linux
box using NFS but in order to do so one must add files and programs to the MS
box. That adding files to the MS boxes in my office is not going to fly with
Management. So the solutions you are henting at above are not solutions but
political traps both on and off this list.

Sorry for the rank and long explanation but I am still kinda of pissed about
the last time I ask technical question and got into a war over it.

SOTL