Re: [SLUG] whence /bin/mail ?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 13:36:31 EST

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Tyler Vann-Campbell wrote:

> On 2/15/06, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> Where do I get /bin/mail (or really any utility that does the same
>> thing)? On my previous system, I had it with sendmail, but now with
>> postfix (and Ubuntu), I don't. ISTR I had to jump through a hoop or two
>> to get it, but I don't recall what those hoops were. They're going in
>> the log this time.
>>
> Not that this is an answer to your question, but IIRC you can apt-get
> sendmail as an alternative to postfix on Ubuntu. At least I was able to on
> my laptop.

Yeah, I tried a couple MTAs before I settled on postfix -- I think they were
sendmail and qmail, because that's the order I thought of them in. But they
didn't work out-of-the-box with fetchmail, and I'm not enough of a mail guru
to _know_ how to make them work. I probably could have figured it out (I
mean, sendmail worked with fetchmail on my previous system) if postfix
hadn't worked.

> One of the postfix guru might be able to help you find the specific MTA
> location for postfix.

Thanks. Do you know where I could find one?

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.