Re: [SLUG] Computer Collection

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Feb 18 2006 - 00:22:07 EST

On Friday 17 February 2006 09:46, Danny WIlliams wrote:
> On 2/16/06, michael hast <evylrobot19@cox.net> wrote:
> > xcalibre wrote:
> > >Wish I had the place and cash for this Auction.
>
> I feel very old now after looking through that list and noting the
> half dozen or so museum pieces on which I once had a paying job.

In 1964 my first computer belonged to the Strategic Air Command and
would have outweighed this whole collection. We used an IBM 360 as an
input device to load the IBM punch card program stacks into my computer.
We had tape drives, memory drums, 36 inch harddisks for the war plans
and ferrite core ram. the console that took two keys to launch everything
used electrostatic memory. The UPS was a flywheel spun by a electric motor
that would automatically couple to start a generator when shore power went
down. It was supposed to be no break in power, but I always lost crypto lock
with everybody when that happened. My display generators were all vacuum
tube about 5 feet high 3 foot wide and 6 feet long and would project a 16
foot square color display or 4 separate images in the 16 foot square screen.
It took about a minute to generate a new display. We had 4 or 5 of thease
for the SAC level command post. They really did generate a large wall of
display. This was pre Unix. A 32 bit machine word coded in octal coded
machine language.
If someone wants to start a museum, I could probably dig up some of my
training material on this beast.
Also I have a C64, TS1000, Tandy 286, 386 MB with math coprocessor, 486 MB,
586 MB, assorted ISA and VLB cards.

                              Richard Smoot