Re: [SLUG] recover NTFS

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 20:08:03 EST

Eben King wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, michael hast wrote:
>
>> Eben King wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Now I've got everything I can get, and it's time to put it back.
>>> NTFS writing is unreliable and new, so I chose FAT (vfat). Had to
>>> make 3 primary + virtual partitions, as XP's formatter won't make a
>>> 128 GiB FAT partition (W98's will, but I can't get the drive to show
>>> up in W98).
>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> Why don't you write a big partition with an open-source partitioner?
>> Will the partitioner on the Debian installer or QTParted not do that?
>

> I can make a big partition, no problem. But FAT32 doesn't go >128
> GiB. (There's only 70-something GiB of data anyway counting wasted
> allocation space, so I could split the disk half FAT and half NTFS.)
> Two filesystems are better than 5, so yeah, that'd be an improvement.
>
> Plus, what can I use to lay down a FAT filesystem? TTBOMK there's no
> mkfs.vfat or similar.
>
> Anyhow, why should I think that FAT written thusly will be accessed
> faster than what I have?

I should have specified that I didn't think that would fix your speed
problem, but that maybe you could write a bigger partition that way.
I've never tried to put down a partition that big in any format and I
didn't realize that FAT32 won't go bigger than that. Learn something
new everyday, right?

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
I'm not picking my nose.  I'm pulling things out of it.