Re: [SLUG] SUSE Linux 10.1 beta 4

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 08:57:06 EST

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 08:16 am, John Pugh wrote:
> Was released on 18 Feb. Here's a link
> "http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs:Most_Annoying_Bugs" for those
> interested in what is going on with it. Basically the low-level install
> process is being re-written and we are encountering the "alpha" of that
> re-write. Other than installation and initial config issues there are
> some nice features being added...XGL is probably the most talked about.
> But don't try XGL or it's components with anything other than NVIDIA
> drivers at present...ATI's 3d drivers for Linux are not working that
> well at present.
>
> Enjoy.

Downloaded it and installed it Saturday Night. {Beta 4 came out late Saturday
afternoon}

1) It would not upgrade my OpenSource10.0 system; complained that there are
files and libraries in my 10.0 system that is not in the Beta 4 system. Beta
2 would upgrade the identical 10.0 system. Bate 3 would not install.

2) I have never been able to make Samba work correct in 10.0. An identical
Samba configuration worked like a charn in 10.1 Beta 4. These configurations
were not tried in Alpha 2, 3, and 4 or Beta 1 and 2. So no comment can be
made on that score. I works in Beta 4.

3) There are the normal minor level of configuration issues. For example if
you install a complete KDE system with no Genome components you still get a
that damn Gnome log-in screen instead of the nice KDE one.

4) My system crashed 2 seconds after visiting some website and activating what
appeared to be some java script. Final results was total complete kernel
crash. Kernel crash could have been results of attempt to recover from full
and complete KDE crash. Bottom line complete reinstall.

5) Beta 4 has enough warnings about dependencies and other configuration
issues that it should be reclassified as Alpha level not Beta level.

SOTL