Re: [SLUG] Ultra VNC

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 15:59:27 EST

William Coulter wrote:
> This is not going to work. I need a way to have encryption. Is there one that works with both
> linux and windows?

SSH tunnelling is your friend. With port forwarding and an sshd under
cygwin, you can safely tunnel without relying on a VNC SSL/TLS style
wrapper.

    $ ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 user@mywindowsbox

and in another window:

    $ vncviewer -encoding tight localhost:0

The trick is remembering that :0 means 5900, :1 means 5901, etc (just
add 5900 to the display number). Many clients assume you're specifying
an implicit port number if you go much over :20.

Sure, you can throw stunnel in front of VNC and use an SSL aware VNC
client. Sure, you can publish a Java VNC applet that is SSL aware (there
are a few out there), but that really requires a web server unless you
want to run it as an application...

The TightVNC client doesn't support SSL, though newer client/server
pairs that are platform specific like UltraVNC do.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>