[SLUG] modem problems

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 14:39:40 EST

Hi. I have an external modem. A real one (USR Sportster), not a Winmodem.
I wrote a script which grabs the Caller ID information as it comes in and
dumps it to the log, where another script speaks it. It worked fine up
until some time after Feb 16 20:09:37, when apparenntly I broke it. It
probably was in the process of changing the device name from "/dev/modem" to
"/dev/ttyS0". I've used modems and null modems for years on Linux, and this
is the first problem I couldn't figure out.

Anyhow, I took the modem and cable to the laptop and they worked there. I
checked the motherboard manual and verified that it is plugged into the
first serial port. (BTW, whoever suggested a difference in USB ports in the
"NTFS backup" thread was right -- the upper two ports are USB 1.1, and the
lower two are USB 2.0. Dunno yet what the "extra" ports are.) I tried both
ttyS0 and ttyS1 in minicom, both at 38400 (its default) and 2400 bps, no
response. The module "8250" is loaded.

root@pc:/mnt# ls -l /dev/ttyS?
-rw-rw---- 1 root dialout 37 Feb 22 14:16 /dev/ttyS0
-rw-rw---- 1 root dialout 5 Feb 22 14:10 /dev/ttyS1
root@pc:/mnt# groups eben
eben : eben adm dialout ...
root@pc:/mnt#

What could be the problem? Port fried?

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.