Re: [SLUG] kernel version?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 19:44:39 EST

michael hast wrote:
> I recently aquired four Nexxtech optical scroll mice for cheap. They
> work really well with Windoze and Kernel 2.4, but they won't work under
> Kernel 2.6 as they are ExplorerPS2 mice instead of the standard PS2. I
> have been running Kernel 2.6 because it is the more current version, but
> is there any real advantage to 2.6 over 2.4? I know that some people
> have made ths kind of thing work on 2.6, but if there isn't a good
> reason to use it, I don't see the point of the effort. Thoughts?

I think Eben best answered the overall question, but I wanted to make a
comment about the superiority of 2.6 over 2.4 kernels. The primary
benefit you'll notice is speed. The memory subsystem was considerably
reworked between the 2.4 and 2.6 series. That said, 2.4 kernels are more
stable than 2.6 kernels overall, because the kernel development method
was changed after 2.4. Not to say that 2.6 kernels are unstable. But
Linus changed the way things were done, and it has resulted in more
radical changes to the 2.6 kernels.

--
Paul M. Foster