Re: [SLUG] kernel version?

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 18:08:07 EST

On Monday 27 February 2006 15:45, Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, steve szmidt wrote:
> > I'm sure you will not find very many novices agree with that.
>
> They've apparently never wanted to start something, and be left alone until
> it finishes. Besides, if we always aim for the lowest common denominator,
> we end up with Windows.

Let's see what people here say.

All of you who have installed the Nvidia driver, who prefers their installer
over compiling by hand, or vice versa?

> > There could very well be all of them. Fortunately it's very easy to write
> > a driver under Linux unlike it's windows counterpart. Few drivers are
> > without bugs under windows.
>
> Oh, so that makes it OK? "Look, they're bad too." Why not strive to write
> the best code possible? Oh yeah, closed source is why.
>
> Well, it's nice that you're satisfied with (possible) mediocrity.

Yeah in a perfect world we'd have it. I'm all for open source everywhere
feasable. As it is I'd rather have the better closed source driver than the
open source one.

Why are you using it?

By your own considerations you certainly have settled for "(possible)
mediocrity" by using it. Har har see how evil it is, yes I'm using it too,
kind of stuff. If you don't like closed source why use it, eh?

Companies have the right to make closed source software. Regardless
of how you and I feel about it. Closed source is no more evil than closed.
Of course that depends on your definition of evil.

Yeah, OSS has made a lot of good s/w. Seems to have a better _average_ quality
than closed. If you removed commercial s/w from the market the world would
collapse. Never mind those hard working developers not having a living.

I've written both. I've made money on both. Some companies are still running
what I wrote over 20 years ago. Making money on closed is definitely easier.
Open feels better, like a contribution to the world. I take it since you feel
so strongly about open source you must have contributed too. Not just had a
free ride...

As it is we need both for the foreseeable future.

> >> Heck, I wish I didn't have to rerun the installer every time I left
> >> runlevel 5. It's probably something simple like "the driver's not
> >> loaded".
> >
> > Wow. Guess you did not contact Nvidia about it?

> It's not that big a hassle, since I don't often leave runlevel 5. Besides,
> if I contacted them,
>
> 1 I'd look like a dweeb

To whom? Not asking makes you look even sillier.

> b I'd probably get told to check some basic step (I've already done the
> easy stuff, thanks) or a solution to a different problem, one which
> doesn't match the symptoms I clearly explained
> III they'd want some irrelevant information like "What color is your
> router?"
> four ... then say "sorry, we don't support grey routers"

Possibly but, at least you would have tried. Now you don't know. All you have
are assumptions, and you know what the Navy says about that.

Sorry if I seem to pick on you. I am. : )

I may have taken you out of context, or not read you clearly. I'm a bit
annoyed with some other backstabbing fool and you may have gotten the worse
out of me. Bottom line is that I don't like generalities like all closed
source is evil. Especially from people who seem to have never coded for a
living. And I don't at all buy into Raymond's view of the software world.
He's an ideologist who's living in his own imaginary world.

Too many people find reasons to hate and call each other evil, rather than
focusing on the positive. I'm sure you are a nice guy and all that.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.