Re: [SLUG] a CD-R writing question

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 08:54:13 EST

On 2/27/06, Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> SLUG:
>
> Does anyone know why "Fixating" a "CD-R write" (closing the disk)
> causes the computer to crawl to a stop (causing the mouse pointer on
> the X windows system to become a black X) as I write the CD-R (or RW)
> in linus in a virtual console - while the "gnome system monitor"
> fails to show any noticeable change to the CPU usage, the "memory used"
> does drop when the write is complete. (windows users friends of mine
> HAVE observed the same thing, in a different way)
>
> At first I thought it might be the computer calculating the directory
> structure, but the "directory structure" must already be in the iso image
> or we wouldn't be able to mount and browse the iso image.
> --

Hmm, there used to be a bug either in cdrecord or the older 2.6 ide
code, or maybe one that was only exposed when used with the other or
whatever - anyway, it would eat huge amounts of memory while you were
burning. As in, it once or twice ran me out of ram and swap on a
machine with a gig of each. Maybe you're running into something like
that?

--
Debianista!