Re: [SLUG] Premier TBAD Mtg. ANNOUNCEMENT

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 10:46:50 EST

On 3/2/06, Richard Morgan <rmorgan@heavysystems.com> wrote:

> Quoting Robert Snyder <robertsnyder@gmail.com>:
>
> > I will make sure to wear my slackware shirt. But in all joking aside I
> been
> > using debian more and more evertime I ned to set up a server. Debian
> base
> > distros are probably the future of linux so they really deserve there
> own
> > even.
>
> Blasphemer!! :-P j/k
>
> Slackware and Debian will share the future. There are just as many other
> distro's based on Slack as there are Debian - Frugalware, SLAX, KLAX,
> LG3D,
> GoblinX, Ionux, Splack, SLAMD64, Slack/390... just to name a few. And you
> can't beat a Slackware-based server, IMHO.

Well really it should be a shrine to slackware at the event as with out
slackware there would be no debian. Dislike for Patrick's package
decissions ( as it is my linux and I can put what ever I want or dont want
in slackware ) Cause Ian to start the debian project. Like most people they
started with Slackware and then decided they could do it better and some
say they did but I dont see how you can improve slackware. Redhat and
Debian are the two major distrobutions that were created because they
belived they could do it better than Patrick.

Slack will always have it place but I see debian taking over on the
corporate dekstop market. Ones like Xandros and Ubuntu... If I had to
install a version of linux 200 times I am goingto pick the distro that
stream line but still only have to require minium input to install. Yes i
known for my 20 minute Full Slackware installs and have a KDE up and running
with all the hardware working in 20 minuts but that is alot of typing to get
everything setup that way. I will always use Slackware on my personal
desktop as I always have but on a end user side and something I would have
to support on a daily basis it would be a debian based distro. ( either
debian it self or Ubuntu or even Xandros if they offered good price on
volume licenceing.) I like Gentoo and have a great little gentoo box but I
would never put something like that on a end user machine just do to time
involved with installing applications.

-RM